Zesty Lemon and Coconut Slice
Makes: Approximately 12 slices
- 1 cup of organic coconut flour (sifted)
- ½ cup of sunflower seeds ground
- ½ tsp baking powder
- 2 organic free range eggs
- 2 tbsp organic ghee
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- Juice of half a lemon
- 3 organic free range eggs
- 1 organic free range egg yolk
- 4 tbsp organic raw honey
- ¾ cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 3 tbsp organic coconut flour (sifted)
- Lemon zest (grated) and coconut flakes for decoration
What to do:
- Preheat oven to 150 degrees (may vary depending on oven).
- Mix the coconut flour, ground sunflower seeds and baking powder in a large bowl.
- Add the eggs, ghee, vanilla essence, and lemon juice. Mix with hands until ingredients are well combined. The mixture will feel slightly dry but should not crumble. If required, add more ghee (or coconut oil).
- Line an ovenproof cake tray with baking paper, place mixture on top, and spread mixture evenly to ensure it covers the base of the cake tray.
- Place in oven and bake for approximately 15 minutes or until golden brown.
- Remove from oven and set aside to cool.
- In a medium bowl, whisk the eggs, yolk, honey, and lemon juice until well combined.
- Gradually add the coconut flour and whisk until combined.
- Pour the filling evenly onto the base and place in oven to bake for 20 minutes on 150 degrees.
- Remove from oven and cool on rack.
- Once cooled, slice into squares or other desired shape.
- Add the lemon zest and coconut flakes for decorations.
- Bon appetite!
*This recipe can be turned into a lemon tart by using a round tart dish instead.
**Try to use organic ingredients where possible as well as support your local farmers.
***We recommend eating this only occasionally as a sweet treat. Where possible, reduce the amount of honey in order to reduce the overall sugar content.