Gooey Caramel Slice
Makes: 18 large slices
- 1 cup of organic coconut flour (sifted)
- ½ cup of sunflower seeds ground
- ½ tsp baking powder
- 2 organic free range eggs
- 2 tbsp organic ghee
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- Juice of half a lemon
- 1 cup of dates (pitted)
- 3 tbsp of organic coconut cream
- 3 tbsp raw organic honey (omit if you want to reduce sugar content)
- 1/3 filtered water (not for cashews)
- 1 cup raw cashews (soaked in filtered water for one hour beforehand)
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 2 tbsp organic ghee or butter
- 100 grams organic cacao butter
- 1 cup raw organic cacao powder
- 1 tbsp raw organic honey (depending on desired sweetness)
- 3 tbsp organic butter
What to do:
- Preheat oven to 150 degrees (may vary depending on oven).
- Mix the coconut flour, ground sunflower seeds and baking powder in a large bowl.
- Add the eggs, ghee, vanilla essence, and lemon juice. Mix with hands until ingredients are well combined. The mixture will feel slightly dry but should not crumble. If required, add more ghee (or coconut oil).
- Line an ovenproof cake tray with baking paper, place mixture on top, and spread mixture evenly to ensure it covers the base of the cake tray.
- Place in oven and bake for approximately 15 minutes or until golden brown.
- Remove from oven and set aside to cool.
- While the base is cooking, place the dates, coconut cream, honey, and water into a food blender, and blend until combined and smooth.
- Add the cashews into the blender to combine with the date mixture and blend until smooth.
- Add vanilla essence and ghee (or butter) until all ingredients are combined into a thick mixture.
- When the base is ready, spread caramel filling evenly onto the base.
- Store in freezer to set for at least one hour.
- Once the caramel filling has set, you can start to prepare your chocolate layer. It is best to leave the caramel filling in the freezer whilst preparing the chocolate.
- In a saucepan, heat the cacao butter on low heat until melted. It is important that you do not overheat.
- Add the cacao powder and honey, stirring gently.
- Gradually add the required amount of butter. Depending on the consistency, you may wish to add more butter. Stir through gently until consistency is smooth and not too thin.
- Remove caramel filling and base from freezer and carefully pour the chocolate mixture on top, spreading it evenly across the top.
- Place in the freezer for several hours to set. You may prefer to place it in your refrigerator.
- Once set, remove from freezer and slice into desired size and shape.
- Bon appetite!
*This recipe can be turned into a Snickers slice by adding ¼ cup of peanuts into the caramel filling mixture and topping the chocolate layer with chopped peanuts (or any other desired nuts).
**Try to use organic ingredients where possible as well as support your local farmers.
***We recommend eating this only occasionally as a sweet treat. Where possible, reduce the amount of dates and honey in order to reduce the overall sugar content.